Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Going for Kona

Going for Kona by Pamela Fagan Hutchins   273 pages

When I was a young girl (I think the term is tween now), among my favorite authors were Dorothy Eden and Phyllis Whitney. I devoured their novels as much as I did the Nancy Drew Bobbsey Twins mysteries. Now as an adult, I’ve stumbled onto author Pamela Fagan Hutchinson (thank you, Shelf Awareness!), whose stories remind me a lot of Eden and Whitney. From the first line of each of her novels, (Going for Kona is her fifth), I’m immediately pulled into the story.
 
In this new romantic mystery series, Michele Lopez Hanson is riding high. She and the love of her life, Adrian, have just published a book of training for Ironman triathlons; she has won a lottery to run in in the Kona (Hawaii) Ironman Triathlon beside Adrian; and  her blended family is close and happy.
 
One day when Michele and Adrian are training on the bikes, a white Taurus slams into Adrian then speeds away. Adrian is dead, leaving Michele to pick up the pieces. Suddenly, white Taurus’ seem to be everywhere. Were the Hanson’s being stalked. Who could want to harm them, especially Adrian? The cops have an eyewitness, but without the vehicle, there’s not much they can do.
 
As much as Michele wants the world to leave her alone, it doesn’t stop. She has to complete the publicity campaign for their book, mother her son and daughter, and try to find out who is stalking her family. Her tragedy becomes national sports headlines as Adrian was a well-known champion in his field and rumor and conjecture spin the story out of control.

Clear your calendar before you begin this romantic mystery. It’s a un-put-downable read. I laughed; I cried.  It’s not only a book about loss and picking yourself up, it’s a story of finding yourself during and after loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment