Thursday, August 13, 2015

Contest

Contest by Matthew Reilly, 334 pages



A co-worker recommended this book to me, and I should have known what genre it would be before I even read it: science fiction. My co-worker loves science fiction, but I'm not really a fan. Nothing personal against science fiction, but it's just not my cup of tea. The last book he recommended to me was science fiction, so I really should have known. Fool me twice, I guess.

With that being said, I am pleasantly surprised as to how much I actually enjoyed the book. The timeline of the book occurs in less than one day, and it is riveting! The action is basically nonstop, and it was because of this that the book made for a quick and exciting read.

The only downside? It involves a contest (that takes place in the New York Public Library) where the last person (or alien) who is alive wins. Normally, I suppose, this wouldn't be such a bad thing, but it can become problematic (and rather traumatizing) if you read this book directly after reading The Hunger Games (which I did).

It is worth it, though. You may just have the inexplicable desire to read The Very Hungry Caterpillar or a Dr. Seuss book afterwards, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment