Saturday, August 29, 2015

Dark Hunter Manga series

Dark Hunter Volumes 1-4 by Sherrilyn Kenyon 832 total pages

Cover image for I mainly read this series to see how well the somewhat overly romantic books by Kenyon were adapted into manga. Going into this series I was expecting long romantic sections cleverly illustrated to imply sexual relations, but obviously not show anything. I was somewhat shocked to see that they tried to just skim over and hint at romance instead of beating us over the head with it. Granted I thought the romance in the original books was overdone to begin with, but it should not be ignored.

Cover image for The other thing that bothered me about this manga was the detail lacking explanations on who everyone was and what the shadow hunters were trying to accomplish. Sure there was the customary couple sentences that give you the briefest of overviews but nothing well defined. If I had not already read the books, I would have been lost within the first few chapters.

On the plus side I thought that these were very nicely illustrated. Luckily the illustrated characters matched closely to what I had imaged or it might have been harder to read. Nothing takes you out of a movie or adaptation faster than the characters not matching what you thought you would see.

If you have read Kenyon's first couple Dark Hunter novels and would like to see what the characters could look like, I would give this a try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment