Sunday, August 30, 2015

White Trash Zombie tetralogy

My Life as a White Trash Zombie, Even White Trash Zombies get the Blues, White Trash Zombie Apocalypse, and How the White Trash Zombie got her Groove back by Diana Rowland, 320, 312, 311 and 328 pages (1271 pages)

Cover image for I had to Google what a four part series is called and websites insisted that tetralogy was the proper term. I guess if it is not people will certainly let me know in the comments.

Cover image for I am not quite sure how I came across this series. I think that it was a recommendation based on what I had read and again I think that Alice in Zombieland is what triggered the recommendation. I could link my review of that here, but you can find it I am sure.

Basically Angel Crawford is a zombie. Not the kind that is shuffling around aimlessly trying to hunt down someone and eat their brains but the kind the looks just like you and me. Well as long as she has had some brains in the past week or so, otherwise she will start to rot. Luckily she lands a job working at the coroners office and has access to all the brains she needs.

Cover image for But things start going horribly wrong when other suspected zombies start showing up beheaded. Then there is the zombie mafia, boyfriends, and trying to hold down a job while trying not to rot away.

Cover image for I like the direction this series takes with the classic zombie idea. In White Trash Zombie world it is a parasite that makes you a zombie. Since this parasite lives in its human host it give that host speed, strength and regeneration abilities simply to protect itself. The downside is it needs brains to survive. This scenario seems a lot more plausible than other zombie fiction and helps make it more believable.

On the whole this series is pretty good. I was not a fan of the titles and I think I got some weird looks reading these books on the bus, but it was worth the read.

Despite the fact that I have caught up with the author, I don't think this series is quite done yet, and certainly has many more possibilities to explore if it wants to.

No comments:

Post a Comment