Saturday, August 1, 2015

The Secret of Chimneys

The Secret of Chimneys by Agatha Christie, 400 pages



As a long-time reader of Agatha Christie novels, I find myself quite used to her style...especially when it comes to Hercule Poirot or Miss Marple stories. However, The Secret of Chimneys is a Christie mystery quite abbynormal from what I'm used to in the sense that it was actually humorous. I'm not talking about the slight grin and move on kind of funny; I'm talking about the chuckle out-loud kind of funny.

Also, half the fun of mystery novels is forming your own theories as the book progresses. By the end of the novel, you've either quit your job to become a famous detective because you figured out the mystery, or you didn't quit your job because you realized that you'd make a horrible detective. In the case of Chimneys, I would be able to survive as a part-time private detective while supplementing my income with a job that actually comes with a W-2. In other words, it had the classic Christie twist that no one saw coming.

This is a great novel! I highly recommend it, and I'd even go as far as to recommend it for first-time Agatha Christie readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment