Tuesday, August 11, 2015

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, 374 pages



I hesitated to even write this blog post because this series is so popular. The hesitation is both one of not wanting to bore the reader with the beating of a dead horse and one of my unwillingness to admit how far behind the times I am. I actually began reading this book out of a happy accident because I went on vacation and finished the book I brought with me, forcing me to choose a book from my sister's bookshelf.

Happy accident or not, I am not disappointed that this was the book I chose from the bookshelf. Over the years, I have found myself to be a fan of dystopian fiction, and The Hunger Games lived up to my newly-discovered genre. The reading experience was quite different from other books I've read, however, in the sense that there's not a whole lot of dialogue. This fact makes sense when you think about how the protagonist is basically hunting by herself for most of the novel. There are definitely interesting introspective passages, and there seems to be a pronounced statement regarding class separations.

On a different note: it sincerely amazes me what counts as Youth Fiction these days. The subject material of The Hunger Games was hard enough for me to absorb (there was a death that I was particularly upset about), so it just floors me that the youth of today are reading heavy topics such as this.

No comments:

Post a Comment