Sunday, February 14, 2016

Food Whore

Food Whore by Jessica Tom.  166 pages read  (book is 344 pages - I stopped at page 166)

Tia Monroe is fresh out of college, in a graduate program, and trying to get a coveted internship.  However, when that plan doesn't come through, and she winds up interning at a restaurant, instead, she crosses paths with a legendary food critic.   As it turns out, the critic lets Tia in on a secret: he's lost his sense of taste.   After listening to Tia describe the food at her restaurant, he decides to take her on as an assistant, ghostwriting his reviews.

I tried this book because I had just finished a book and wanted something quick and light.  I got about halfway through and ... meh.  I didn't believe the characters, and I found the story too farfetched.   The funny thing is, I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy, and while I can suspend my disbelief in those stories pretty easily, I just couldn't with this book.   I found Tia annoying.   I couldn't quite buy it that she had been a foodie in college, and somehow, had vast enough knowledge to, right out of school, be able to assist someone in the way described in the book.   I couldn't buy that the critic had the money he had.  It's a lovely idea to imagine that he'd be able to have a personal shopper send Tia clothes from top-level designers (and that Tia, miraculously, has a figure to accommodate said clothes with no alteration).   But, I didn't buy it.

Meh.

No comments:

Post a Comment