Saturday, February 27, 2016

I'm Glad About You

I'm Glad About You by Theresa Rebeck.  369 pages.

This is the story of two people, Alison and Kyle, who meet in high school and fall in love . . but then go their separate ways.  Told over time, we see Alison moving to New York City and getting her lucky break as an actress, and Kyle staying in Ohio, and pursuing a career as a pediatrician.   The back of the book states, "I’m Glad About You is a glittering study of how far the compromises two people make will take them from the lives they were meant to live."

I wanted to like this book more than I actually did.  I think the idea is interesting, where you have two characters who go separate ways and then come together from time to time.  You see their lives independently, and then see them intersect, and what influence that has on the next part of their lives. However, I guess I just didn't really like the characters.   I found Alison got on my nerves (for example, she moves to New York and has no idea how expensive everything is.  She takes a job and then quits with no backup plan.  Personally, she grated on me).   I also didn't like Kyle too much.  He marries a woman (who also is not likable) seemingly on a whim, and then doesn't seem at all invested in his marriage or his relationship with his children.   Neither of the main characters seem to be very happy, but don't seem to take steps to change this, either.

Was I glad I read this book?  Meh.

1 comment: