Sunday, February 14, 2016

Snakewood

Snakewood by Adrian Selby.  432 pages  (read as an e-galley, courtesy of Edelweiss.  Title is on order for the Library, March 2016)

This is the story of a band of mercenaries who had built a reputation throughout their lands, and who are now being hunted down and killed, one by one.   As the tagline for the book says, "A lifetime of enemies has its own price."

I enjoyed this story overall.  The cast of characters is large (which at times meant I had to remind myself who was who), and the world the author has created is easy to imagine.   I especially liked how the author worked a type of plant magic into the story, where plants, or concoctions and infusions of plants, give characters enhanced abilities.  And, true to well-written magic, there is a price for the use of these plants (which I liked).  The pace picks up as the story progresses, and there is a good mix of adventure and intrigue.  And, the author isn't afraid to add grittiness to the storyline, which adds to the realistic feeling of it.

The one complaint I had was that it was sometimes tricky for me to keep track of the characters.  I made a small chart, which then made it easier for me to remember who was who, how they related to someone else, and what their own storyline was.  The other thing that made it tricky was that the timeline in the story would change, depending on whose perspective you're reading.  So, it was sometimes hard to keep track of the story without making some notes.


No comments:

Post a Comment