Monday, February 29, 2016

People in the Trees

People in the Trees by Hanya Yanagihara, 496 pages
Cover image for
This is another one of those books that I never would have read if not for the book group. Once again it is just not my genre. People in the Trees is a fiction book with a large dose of science. The entire story is presented as an autobiography of Norton Perina, a doctor who helped discovered an isolated tribe of people who seem to have discovered immortality. The secret lies in a rare species of turtles that are only found on that island, and are treated reverently. 


This book starts off with two strikes against it. In the opening pages Dr. Perina is charged, tried and convicted of child molestation and we find out that all of the turtles are dead. If the story had been overly dull I think I would have given up on this book, but luckily it was at least mostly interesting. Since this book was written as an autobiography, complete with made up footnotes, I at times forgot that this was in fact fiction. I even went as far as Googling some of the articles mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment