Saturday, February 27, 2016

Murder 101

Murder 101 by Faye Kellerman.  374 pages

This is #22 in the Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus series, which finds Detective Peter Decker, newly working for the Greenbury Police Department, investigating the theft of stained glass panels from a mausoleum.  However, that seemingly simple theft broadens into something much bigger when it's discovered the panels were made by Tiffany and have been replaced with forgeries.  And then there are murders.   With his new partner, Decker is drawn into a web of "dark secrets, cold case crimes, international intrigue, and ruthless people who kill for sport."

I read this book for an upcoming project, so I came to it without reading any of the previous books. Happily, that didn't stand in the way of feeling like I could get to know the characters or enjoy the story.  I felt like there was enough background story for  Decker and Lazarus, without the author getting heavy-handed.  I could get a handle on their relationship, and move forward without too many "huh" moments.  Decker's new partner, McAdams, is a jerk, but I felt it made the story interesting.  I admit, aside from solving the mystery, I was hoping this kid's character was going to have some growth.   Or get smacked around.

I felt Kellerman worked in a lot of details about art, and art theft, which made for an interesting read. Aside from solving a murder, there's a lot in here that Decker (and thus the reader) is learning about art forgery and art theft.  Personally, I found this more interesting than some of the character development of Decker and his wife, Rina.  I'm not sure if I will go back and read my way through 1-22 in this series, but this was an enjoyable read.


No comments:

Post a Comment