Monday, February 29, 2016

Planetary Omnibus

The Planetary Omnibus by Warren Ellis, 864 pages

Cover image for This book was one of my table finds. By that I mean a patron left this on a table and I discovered it when picking up the books at the end of the day. Now normally I do not read many comic books. I read a fair number of graphic novels, and a large amount of manga, but something about comics never really hold my attention. I think this is likely because the hero nearly always wins and does so in an honest way. Seeing them do that over and over really takes away from what I look for in every book, believability. But something about this omnibus was different. There was a grittiness that made it enjoyable.


Until I read this book, I had never heard of the Planetary Group, or any of the super heroes that are featured. I like that most of them are the no nonsense, kill what gets in the way type. And to make it even better this is not the standard the earth is doomed story. Basically the Earth is rule by four people with extraordinary power. If they fight together no one can stand up to them. But Planetary is tired of being ruled, so they take the fight to them.

I enjoyed this omnibus, but then I have enjoyed nearly everything that Warren Ellis has written. I think if you also enjoy other graphic novels, or even comics by Ellis, then you will enjoy this as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment