Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Be Frank With Me

Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson   read 200 pages (book is 287 pages)

Alice Whitley takes a job to assist reclusive literary legend M.M. Banning, who has been holed up in her Bel Air mansion for years.  When Alice arrives, she's put to work immediately, but as a full-time companion to Frank, the writer's eccentric (and kind of high maintenance) little boy.  As Alice gets to know Frank, and feel her way around actually assisting the writer in finishing her book, she starts to become consumed with finding out who Frank's father is.

Frankly, this just wasn't my book.  I found I didn't find the characters to be interesting enough, and especially didn't find Frank to be charming (which I think I was supposed to).  Frank annoyed me more than he intrigued me, and after a short time, Alice did, too.  I kept trying, but reached a point where I closed the book for good and didn't look back.  I'm happy to stick with a book, but if I find I'm choosing other books over finishing the one I'm slogging through, I just return it.  That's one of the benefits of getting things from the library: no commitment (and no offense if you don't want to commit).

No comments:

Post a Comment