Friday, January 27, 2017

Stories

Stories: 100 of his most celebrated tales (with an introduction by the author) by Ray Bradbury.  912 pages

Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors, and when I saw this big collection of stories, I knew it would make for some good reading.  The stories here range all over the place, so there are scary stories, and poignant stories, stories that could be classified as science fiction --- you name it, and it's in here.  Bradbury chose the stories for this volume, which were published from the 1940s up to 2005.

To me, Bradbury's introduction to this book is just as pleasurable to read as one of the stories.  Here's an example: "I was so busy rushing headlong into the future, loving libraries and books and authors with all my heart and soul, was so consumed with becoming myself hat I simply didn't notice that I was short, homely, and untalented. Perhaps, in some corner of my mind, I did know. But I persisted - the need to write, to create, coursed like blood through my body, and still does."

I found that with this book, I would read a few stories, and then go on to something else, coming back and reading another few stories.  That way, the size of the book wasn't overwhelming and I could take my time and savor the stories I really liked.

No comments:

Post a Comment