Tuesday, January 31, 2017

Cosplayers

Cosplayers by Dash Shaw, 111 pages

I went into this book knowing virtually nothing about it -- I needed something written by an author my age to fulfill a reading challenge category and went with this one because I like comics.  Based on the title and cover* I figured it was going to be something in the vein of Sam Maggs' The Fangirl's Guide to the Galaxybut ended up having much more in common with Daniel Clowes' Ghost World and all the ennui of a Chris Ware comic.  The book features seven loosely connected stories about two friends going to cons, comic shops, making videos for YouTube and generally farting around in the year after high school before going to college.  There's not much here about finding the perfect fabric for your Captain Marvel cosplay, but there's plenty about feeling listless and trying to figure out what makes you happy.  Which is fine by me -- I'd rather read about the latter than the former.

*I realized after the fact that it's published by Fantagraphics.  I would have drawn different conclusions if I'd noticed this sooner.

No comments:

Post a Comment