Monday, January 23, 2017

Pinned

Pinned by Sharon Flake 228 pages

Pinned is about two teenagers, Autumn and Adonis. Autumn is an almost illiterate wrestler who loves baking and Adonis. Adonis is a scholastically intelligent young man who has no legs. Autumn is determined to make Adonis her boyfriend, while he is determined not to be her boyfriend. Will they or won't they? This is their story.

The two main characters are enormously different, almost too different. Autumn is larger than life and Adonis keeps to himself. She loves everything and everybody, he could do without most people. I did (mostly) care about them, although I don't think they were necessarily written to be endearing, but it was hard to tell. They were very human in their flaws and desires, so I think that's what made me care about them.  Autumn basically had a good attitude but when she lost something important to her (no spoilers I promise), her sunny disposition disappeared and while her behavior shocked me, it reminded me about the volatility of the teenage attitude. Adonis was a typical intelligent introvert, but his disability added more to his character. As far as dialog goes, there were some inconsistencies, some big words Autumn sounded out and others she never even stumbled. Adonis never seemed to use contractions and that just didn't ring true, but I guess that was part of his character (I'm giving the benefit of the doubt). I didn't hate this book, but I didn't love it. There are some unresolved issues that I would have liked to have seen sewn up. It was a quick read, but I think more could have been done with the story because there was some pretty deep stuff in it. I think that it would possibly make a good series, because it leaves so many questions at the end. And thinking about it now, I kind of want answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment