Monday, January 30, 2017

Borderline

Borderline by Mishell Baker    400 pages

After Millie recovers from a failed suicide attempt which has left her an amputee, she gets an amazing second chance at life when the Arcadia Project reaches out to her.  A secret organization that polices the traffic in and out of a parallel reality that connects to faery, the Arcadia Project promises to be challenge for Millie.  For her first assignment, she's assigned to track down a missing movie star.  However, it soon becomes clear that this is no easy task, and as Millie starts to learn about the people connected to his disappearance, an entire conspiracy is revealed.

I admit it: this isn't the book for me.  I've read a fair amount of urban fantasy, and while this certainly has common elements of good urban fantasy, it just didn't really connect with me.  I found Millie to be an interesting character . . . but not all of the time. The supporting characters had potential, but frankly, I found I didn't understand them most of the time, and wound up just not really caring about them.  I appreciate that most of the characters were deeply flawed, and completely unapologetic about that, which was refreshing.  However, I just never felt a connection to them or to the story.

I can see where some readers would really enjoy this book, and how some of the characters would definitely resonate with some readers.  However, it just didn't resonate with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment