Thursday, October 19, 2017

Lighter Than My Shadow

Lighter Than My Shadow by Katie Green, 508 pages

A graphic memoir of eating disorders, abuse and recovery. Like most kids, Katie was a picky eater. She'd sit at the table in silent protest, hide uneaten toast in her bedroom, listen to parental threats that she'd have to eat it for breakfast. But in any life a set of circumstance can collide, and normal behavior might soon shade into something sinister, something deadly. One day you can find yourself being told you have two weeks to live. Lighter Than My Shadow is a hand-drawn story of struggle and recovery, a trip into the black heart of a taboo illness, an exposure of those who are so weak as to prey on the weak, and an inspiration to anybody who believes in the human power to endure towards happiness.” I guess I need to stop saying I don’t really like graphic novels.  I do like certain graphic novels, although I don’t think they will ever be my first choice format.  I like them when the story is good, just like any other book.  This is a great pick for teens, especially those who like realistic stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment