Friday, October 27, 2017

Through the Woods

Through the Woods by Emily Carroll (4 stars, hardback, 208 pages)

The Library was cold.
The Library is often cold.
And I shivered.
But not because of the temperature.
There was a strange chill in my bones.

It came from the Woods.
(Most strange things do.)

This graphic not-novel tells five short horror stories,
 bookended by an introduction and conclusion. The stories are quite chilling, and the illustrations serve well to amplify the effect. I can hardly open the book for consultation during this review without my local temperature falling 15 degrees. Each story
 takes place in or around the Woods.

I found myself wishing for just a little bit more with each
 of the stories. I know, I know - less can be so much more when it comes to gothic horror. Some of the stories just fell flat to me because I couldn’t understand what was going on, or the story concluded a touch too soon. The on-point illustrations still did
 evoke that sense of spine-tingling horror that is so prized this time of year, without being gross or explicit. His Face All Red was a perfect tale that made the whole book well worth the read.

No comments:

Post a Comment