Monday, October 23, 2017

The Price of Justice

The Price of Justice by Marti Green (audio, 1 star, 272 pages) 

In The Price of Justice, defense lawyer Dani Trumbull is enlisted to prove the innocence of a death row inmate when somebody else confesses to the crime. It’s not as easy as it sounds, nor is it nearly so straightforward.

This book was pretty bad. Apparently it’s part of a series, but in its favor, it stands alone well. It didn’t hinder my understanding of the novel, but I will not read more of them. There were a lot of elements that didn’t really contribute anything to the book - I suppose if I were to see these characters again in the context of the series, they could.

Though the premise was reasonably interesting, the characters were flat. The situations were over-explained, and the author had a serious case of “Show Don’t Tell” as the characters thoughts and feelings were merely repeated rather than demonstrated. The nonprofit described in the book is terribly mismanaged, as Dani really should not have taken this case. Her comments about the wrap-up of the case made me roll my eyes out of their sockets.

No comments:

Post a Comment