Monday, January 8, 2018

Artemis

Artemis by Andy Weir.     305 pages

Life on Artemis, the first (and only) city on the moon, can be tough if you're not a rich tourist or a rich businessman. Jazz Bashara isn't rich, although she's working on a plan. Her job as a porter doesn't pay much, but she's able to make some money on the side with a bit of smuggling here and there. Everything changes, however, when she gets the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward so high she can't turn it down. However, pulling off the impossible in an environment on the moon is hard enough without the extra challenges of navigating the conspiracy she's stumbled into. Now, she's fighting for not only her own survival, but the survival of the city of Artemis.

I had expected this book to be similar to The Martian:  Interesting main character, solid plot and a bunch of scientific information explained in a way that a non-scientific person could understand it.  I enjoyed the story, although I found the main character rubbed the wrong way a few times. She's flawed, but in a way that it's "sure, I'm flawed . .. but really, all of my flaws are strengths."  She seems to have an answer for everything and I guess I found her personality grated on me at times.

The story is interesting, and while I predicted some of what happened, Weir does throw a few curveballs into the plot. I liked the concept of the city on the moon and as I had hoped, Weir puts in a lot of information about what living in that kind of environment would entail.

However, the book was a little flat for me, mostly, I think, due to the main character.  So, an ok book, but not one that I want to purchase for my own bookshelves.

1 comment:

  1. I have to agree with you. I never came to like the main character. I think I missed the humor from the main character in The Martian.

    ReplyDelete