Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Sometimes I Lie

Sometimes I Lie by Alice Feeney  258 pages    read a galley

My name is Amber Reynolds. There are three things you should know about me: 
1. I’m in a coma. 
2. My husband doesn’t love me anymore. 

3. Sometimes I lie. 


This is how the book starts. You know right away that you can't trust this narrator . . . and I loved that. When you begin the book, Amber is in a coma, although she can hear and smell things. The people around her have no idea that she can hear things at all, so while she can't speak, move or open her eyes, she can still observe things (kind of). She doesn't remember what happened to her, although she's suspicious that her husband is involved. And maybe her sister.

The story alternates between the present, where Amber is in a coma, the week before her accident, and through a series of childhood diaries from 20 years ago.  This is a psychological thriller to the core, and the entire time you're reading, it's easy to forget that #3 is "Sometimes I lie."  Are these diary entries true?  You think you know what's happening, or what the timeline is . . . but seriously, I was thrown off a few times and then there's a huge twist at one point.  This is a strange book, but I found it completely engrossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment