Tuesday, January 2, 2018

Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children's Literature as an Adult

Wild Things: The Joy of Reading Children's Literature as an Adult by Bruce Handy     307 pages

Bruce Handy is a contributing editor to Vanity Fair and is also a father, so as he revisits the classics of American childhood, he looks with both the eye of an editor and reader, but as someone who has revisited these books recently with his own children.  From fairy tales to Dr. Seuss, and just about everything in between, Handy explores the back stories of the authors who created these classic books, as well as the context of when the books were published.  It's a great way to re-encounter books that you may have once treasured but haven't read lately (and also a cool way to learn about books that you never knew about as a child).  I had a great time reading this book and found it fascinating.  There were some things I knew, but a lot that I didn't, and so this book wasn't just an exploration of certain books, but a great resource to learn about authors like Beverly Cleary, L. Frank Baum, and others.  I appreciated that Handy injects some humor and reflection into his writing, which makes you a bit nostalgic for some of these books but you also get the adult view of them (which means there are things you may have missed completely when you read the book as a child). 

After reading this book, I plan to spend some time this month revisiting some of the books I have from my childhood.  I'm interested to see if I remember the stories correctly, but it's also a great excuse to re-read some of my Beatrix Potter and L. Frank Baum.   Heck, I'll probably sit down with my Harold and the Purple Crayon treasury, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment