Saturday, January 20, 2018

The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre

The Lost Kingdom of Bamarre by Gail Carson Levine     385 pages

When visited by a fairy, fifteen-year-old Peregrine learns she is not Latki-born, so she begins to free her people from tyranny, even if it means fighting monsters--both magical and human.

Another lovely tale by Gale Carson Levine. I loved getting to read about Bamarre again. It was interesting to see the history of the people and Kingdom from one of my favorite books - "The Two Princesses of Bamarre." 

Perry is a great character - I loved reading her struggle to accept her origins and how strong and valiant she is. She's a wonderful strong female lead. As always, Levine does this without drawing attention to it - in her hands, it's not a trope, it's just a fact of the world she's built. In this case, all Lakti people are warriors, male and female. In Perry's case, all she wants is to prove to her parents that she is someone they can be proud of. She's a princess, and a warrior, and she loves poetry - my kind of character!

I really enjoyed reading this book, the story, the characters, everything felt familiar and true. It fits in so well with the other books and it brought me back to my childhood days of reading fantasy books and getting lost in another world. I'd highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment