Monday, January 8, 2018

Shrill

Shrill: Notes from a loud woman by Lindy West.  260 pages; audiobook 5 discs

In this book, which is kind of a series of essays about her life, Lindy West talks about her childhood, sizeism, Internet trolls, and much more.  She has a great sense of humor, although she has a barbed wit when it comes to certain things (which I really enjoy). Some of her essays are pretty thoughtful and even provocative, and I found that the book really made me think.

Listening to West read her audiobook really elevated the experience with the book. There's something about hearing intonations and inflections with essays like hers that really make it feel more like some kind of conversation, instead of the experience you have reading the book. I listened to this audiobook in my car and sometimes, would be laughing really hard and then a few times, found myself talking back to her (yes, out loud). I don't agree with every single thing she says, but I do find that her unapologetic way of addressing issues definitely makes me feel like I'd love to hang out with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment