Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Cranford

Cover image for Cranford / Elizabeth Gaskell ; edited with notes by Patricia Ingham.

Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell, 257 pages






I had to read this book for an English Literature class, and it's not a book I would have probably chosen of my own volition. However, Cranford is a delightfully refreshing novel, full of lovely language and lacking the depressing characteristics resplendent in most novels today. Originally published as a serial in the publication "Household Works," Cranford is set in a Victorian England village (Cranford) and follows the lives of the women who reside in the village. Most of the women are older spinsters, and some of the situations in which they find themselves are hysterical. I think the novel is meant to satirize the Victorian Era mentality, so a lot of the women are overly proper despite not having a lot of money. To me, the satirizing tone (whether intentional or not) is what makes the novel wonderful.




I was not a normal child growing up, and I would often watch old television shows. One of my favorites (and still is to this day!) was "The Andy Griffith Show." The town in the television show, Mayberry, reminds me so much of the village of Cranford. It brought back fond memories with every page turn. An absolutely delightful read!

No comments:

Post a Comment