Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Cover image for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children / by Ransom Riggs.

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs, 352 pages




When I saw the cover for this book in a bookstore, it reeked of the publishing company, Quirk Books, and I knew I had to get it. I've only read one other Quirk Books title (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies), but I am well aware of their line of...well, quirky books. This book seemed right up my alley.




For an impulse purchase, this book was awesome! Even though it is classified as Youth Fiction, I really think that adults will love this book as well. I'm not entirely certain what genre it should be labeled as, though. It has historical fiction, fantasy, mystery, and horror elements (then I guess it should appeal to a wide variety of audiences).




What makes this book so different (and so quirky!) from other books is the inclusion of vintage photographs that accompany the storyline. The photographs really add a certain flavor to the book, and I think it's a flavor everyone should sample! Dare I say there is a new genre emerging? Photo (Foto) Fiction, maybe? For the most part, the photographs splattered throughout the novel are actual, unadultered photographs. There is an index in the back of the book that credits the sources of the photographs, and the ones marked "by the author" are the unashamedly photoshopped ones.




This really is a tremendous read, even if it is read for the photographs only!

No comments:

Post a Comment