Saturday, March 22, 2014

Annihilation

Annihilation by Jeff Vandermeer
195 Pages

An expedition of four women is sent into an unknown region called Area X. They are one of many expeditions sent to this area and all the previous groups have failed and no one knows why.

This book had good reviews and I personally think the reviewers must have been smoking something or the book is mis-categorized.  The story is more a cross between Lord of the Flies and Dante's Inferno with some random monsters thrown in for atmosphere.  When I finished I still really didn't know what was going on, what had happened and what that had to do with anything.  In case you haven't guessed, I didn't like the book and only finished it because it was short and I was hoping in vain that something towards the end would help me make sense of the whole shebang.  There are 2 more books coming out in this series called the Southern Reach Trilogy.  I won't be reading them.


No comments:

Post a Comment