Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson

Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson, 386 pages.

I brought this book with me for a flight to Europe.  It was so awesome, I'd read it by the by the time I'd reached my first stop-over in Houston.  Ever watched a movie or read a book, and thought, "mmmm, if this had ninjas, or pirates, or dinosaurs fighting Nazis, then this movie/book would be perfect".  Well, for me, this book was that perfect storm. 

The book starts after an event called the Calamity - a huge explosion in the sky.  For unknown reasons, the Calamity gives a select number of people super powers.  These powers run the gamut - invincibility, luck on steroids, ability to control night and day, you name it, someone has it.  But, just like I've always suspected these "superheroes" don't use their powers for good.  I've always suspected if Superman was real, he'd be a tryanical fascist or government lackey.  Some commit petty crimes, others go on mass rampages, and a select few decide to take over the world.  The story starts in a world 10 years after the Calamity, most governments have fallen to the might of the Epics, and the human race lives as slaves.  All except the Reckoners, a group of humans whose sole purpose is to study, then assassinate these fascist superheroes.

Steelheart is an action-packed ride.  It has Epic (no pun intended) battles, car chases, and a multitude of villianous superheroes.  It has a deeper message that explores power and its effect on those who gain it.  My only gripe is that it's a trilogy, and the second book doesn't drop until Q4 2014 - damn you, Brandon Sanderson.

If you like your superheroes served up with a healthy dose of fascism, with a sprinkle of assassinations, and a dollop of blockbuster action - then Steelheart is right-up your alley.  Also, I have no idea why I used food analogies to sum up this book - go figure!

No comments:

Post a Comment