Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Orange is the New Black

Orange is the New Black by Piper Kerman, 302 pages

I decided to read this book because I'd heard so many good things about the Netflix series. I assumed the book must be equally good, as it's what the series is based off of. I think I was wrong.
Piper Kerman is white. And blond. And well off. And has to serve a 15-month sentence for a drug-related crime she committed 10 years ago. And she really wants you to feel sorry for her.
While in prison, here are some of the things she must suffer through:

-getting to run on a track every day if she likes, as well as practicing yoga, forcing her to get in the best shape of her life

-learning basic electrician skills

-making friends of all races, ages and sizes, who all love her, because who doesn't love a blond white girl?

-having visitors every week, mail every day, limitless money to spend at the jail commissary

-a lovely job waiting for her when she finishes serving her time

I digress. At times I did feel bad for poor Piper and her predicament, and the jail stories were entertaining at least, but a lot of the time she just seemed whiny. I understand why Elizabeth Gilbert recommends this book.

2 comments:

  1. Man, no mercy for Elizabeth Gilbert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to read "Eat Pray Love" and couldn't get through it, due to all her whining.

    ReplyDelete