Sunday, June 14, 2015

Not That Kind of Girl

Not That Kind of Girl, by Lena Dunham, 265 pages

Not That Kind of Girl: A Young Woman Tells You What She's "Learned"Lena Dunham can be a pretty polarizing figure, especially among women I hang out with.  She does a good job at representing what her and her friends are like- it's just that it's incredibly difficult to relate to if you are not from a privileged, upper-class, white NYC household, yourself.  So I started reading this with a great deal of skepticism- how much could we really have in common?  And the answer is- well, not a whole lot; but the more I read it, the more I thought of her as a younger sister who makes bad decisions, and then owns up to them; she also has a strong sense of self and is constantly learning her worth.  And as the reader, I just shook my head in exasperation, but kept reading- because her heart is always in the right place and you can see real growth.  And for the many issues I take with her work, I respect what she's doing. So if you like celeb-memoir type books (think: Mindy Kaling's Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?), this may be worth reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment