Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Johannes Cabal the Detective

Johannes Cabal the Detective by Jonathan Howard, 288 pages

This book is the second in a series, the first of which I read a few years back. The main character, Johannes Cabal, is a darkly humored necromancer and in the first book, he has been without his soul in order to learn necromancy. However, he wants it back and must earn it back by getting others to give up theirs, while running a carnival.
This installment in the series was a little steampunk, which was a change of pace from the first book.  The second book is set mostly on a zeppelin onto which Cabal has fled, to attempt to escape a crime. He ends up having to participate in the solving of several murders and is almost murdered himself. Along to help him is Leonie Barrow, a woman he met in the first book.
The author tried to throw in some poor attempts at romance for Cabal in this one, which I found unnecessary, as it breaks from Cabal's character. It is attributed to him having his soul back, but still, unnecessary.
The best part about the Cabal books are the humor. Cabal is extremely sarcastic and he's not only a necromancer, but also an un-apologetic killer when necessary. I suppose he's somewhat sociopathic. I've discovered I really do enjoy books about sociopaths.

4 comments:

  1. Likes books about sociopaths. Likes books about cats. Of course.

    Any other books about sociopaths you would recommend? American Psycho? The Dexter series? Eat, Pray, Love?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read American Psycho, though I do love the movie. I read the Dexter series (except the most recent) but I enjoy the tv show better, thanks to Michael C. Hall. And I HATED what little I read of Eat Pray Love. The names escape me but I know I've read some I could recommend. :) P.S. Are you implying cats are sociopaths?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cats are sociopaths. I thought that was a fact universally acknowledged. Luckily, they're also lazy. I suspect they're related to dragons.

      Delete
  3. I was not aware of that fact (?) nor do I acknowledge it. My cats are not sociopaths, but they can sometimes be a bit maniacal. ;)

    ReplyDelete