Monday, October 27, 2014

Wasp Factory

Cover image for The wasp factory : a novel / Iain Banks.Wasp Factory by Iain Banks, 184 pages

This book was hailed as both disturbing and a must read by some reviews I came across. Since my tastes trend towards the disturbing and weird I thought I would give this one a try.

Frank is a disturbed sixteen year old with some interesting habits. His father is an eccentric who is just as prone to lying as telling the truth. And lastly his brother Eric has just escaped from a mental institution.

Sadly I only found this book average at best. There are plenty of disturbing scenes and imagery that try to set up the horror theme it is trying so hard to reach, but it falls short of the mark. The wasp factory (the factory in the book, not the title) is interesting however, and seems to be an interesting way to live your life. The most exciting part of the book was the shocking ending. I can honestly say I did not see that coming, but looking back maybe I should have.

I am not sure what kind of people would actually enjoy reading this book but I guess if you are a fan of some of the more sick and twisted writers out there, you should give this one a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment