Friday, July 31, 2015

Les Miserables part 2

Cover image for Les MisérablesLes Miserables vol 2, by Victor Hugo, 724 pages

To say that this was a slog would be an understatement. It took me the better part of four months to make it through this volume. In fact it took me so long that I had to return the book multiple times and recheck it out!

But it was not entirely a bad book. The parts where the plot actually continued along were just fine. It was the 50 pages on the use of argots, or the multichapter history of Waterloo that really made this hard to finish. And by the end I swore out loud whenever Hugo started a sentence with "I am sure the read will forgive me if I digress...". NO! I will not forgive you! Get on with the story!

If you like to read authors that got paid by the word, or old classics that have withstood the test of time, then go ahead and give this a try. But know that I warned you about the fluff.

No comments:

Post a Comment