Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Strong is the new pretty

Strong is the New Pretty: A Celebration of Girls Being Themselves  by Kate T. Parker     256 pages

"Real beauty isn’t about being a certain size, acting a certain way, wearing the right clothes, or having your hair done (or even brushed). Real beauty is about being your authentic self and owning it."

Kate T. Parker captures candid and arresting images of girls and pairs them with their own words to create a powerful, affirming book.  It might seem like a simple idea, but as I kept turning the pages and reading and really looking at the girls in the photographs, I understood just how important this kind of book can be for not just girls, but their mothers and aunts and grandmothers (and also their father and brothers!).   This slice of life book is the kind of book I wish I had had when I was growing up (and one that I might buy for my niece).

No comments:

Post a Comment