Saturday, January 31, 2015

After Wonderland

Cover image for Beyond Wonderland, Escape from Wonderland, and Wonderland: Clash of Queens by Raven Gregory, 157, 200 and 144 pages (501 total)

I have always been attracted to the wackiness that was portrayed in the Wonderland movies, both the old Disney classic and the newer Johnny Depp release. This wonderland series is more for those that liked the Johnny Depp version. It is not the kind of tale that has a happy ending. It is however a tale that is quite the thrilling adventure.

Beyond Wonderland tells the story of Calie Liddle who apparently was briefly trapped in Wonderland. As it turns out this is actually sort of the midpoint of Zenescope’s Wonderland series but I did not know that until after I read this. Anyways Calie is still trying to adjust back to a normal life but Wonderland is not done with her yet. With the weirdness creeping in and the Mad Hatter stalking her, will Calie’s normal life survive, will she?

Escape from Wonderland finishes what was started in Beyond Wonderland. Here a lot more of the questions I had going into this collection were answered as there is a lot more back story revealed. This book is also very creepy with its post apocalypse Wonderland setting.

Wonderland: Clash of Queens was probably my favorite volume in this set. It has nothing to do with Calie and just tells some of the history of Wonderland, namely of the four queens. When I saw the Wonderland movies I always wondered where the other queens were. Sure the Queen of Hearts was featured quite vividly with her “Off with their heads!” motto but what about the other suits. I suppose this question might be answered in Carroll’s original works, but I have yet to read them. Either way this book looks at all four suits and their uniqueness.

I really enjoyed this series, though I wish I had done more checking before I started reading. It is always weird trying to jump into a series mid flow but it is what it is. I think reading from the start would have helped me enjoy these more, but they still were not bad. Since I need to know how it started you will likely see the first part of this next month.

No comments:

Post a Comment