Thursday, January 29, 2015

My Mother she Killed me...

Cover image for My Mother she killed me, my Father he ate me, 542 pages
This is a collection of forty new fairy tales composed by a collection of writers. They range from retellings of classics adapted for modern times to original ideas. Like all collected works there were some stories that were very good and some that I struggled to finish. I think I was drawn more to the retellings and the expanding upon of the classics if for no other reason I was familiar with the story and characters already.
One of the highlights of this collection was a short tale by Neil Gaiman title Orange. What made this story so unique was that the entire thing is told through responses to a questionnaire or interview. The reader never sees the questions that were asked only the responses. At first this is confusing but quickly you realize that you can get glimpses of the tale underneath as the questions obviously get more focused on the event that happened. Personally I love to see unique or abstract ways of telling a story. It just makes it more memorable.

This book despite its length took me several months to finish. For some reason I could not sit down and read it for any length of time. Maybe it was the content or just the busyness of the holiday season.

No comments:

Post a Comment