Saturday, January 10, 2015

Uglies

Uglies by Scott Westerfeld, 425 pages


Tally has been anxiously awaiting her 16th birthday when she can have the operation that will turn her from an ordinary ugly to a pretty.  Pretties have all of the fun and besides, everyone knows that evolution means that people are predisposed to look for certain types of symmetry and beauty in people so if everyone is the same, no one has to argue.  Until Tally meets Shay, another ugly who will turn 16 the same day as Tally.  But Shay isn’t sure that she wants to be pretty and she knows a place she can go to get away from the city and stay ugly for the rest of her life.  She wants Tally to come along but Tally can’t understand why anyone would want to be ugly.  After Shay leaves, something goes wrong with Tally’s operation and Tally is forced to make some difficult decisions about betraying Shay and whether or not being pretty is really what she wants.  I waited a long time to start on Westerfeld’s books because everyone raved about them and since I always have so much to read I wasn’t sure if I was ready to get caught up in his series, figuring I’d want to read all of his books once I got started.  However, I finally caved and have started reading the Uglies series.  I liked it but I’m not sure that it lived up to the hype for me.  I definitely want to read the rest of the series because it is a good, well written story but I expected to feel almost compelled to keep reading and I don’t.  However, I think that a lot of teens who like the dystopian novels will enjoy this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment