Saturday, January 24, 2015

Onyx Webb: Episode One: The Story Begins


Onyx Webb: Episode One: The Story Begins by Richard Penton & Andrea Waltz    130 pages

Sometimes I buy a book solely for its cover. If I had seen this short novel in my local indie bookstore, I would have been intrigued. The title would have made me leery, but on flipping through it, the antique photos of the main characters creeped me out enough to make me want to purchase it. Lucky for me, I didn’t have that conundrum. The authors sent me a copy.
At the beginning, it seems as if the book is told in vignettes without any rhyme or reason. But a few sections into it, the reader sees there is a pattern. The four main plot lines move between 1904 St. Louis (which is a favorite for me since I live in the Gateway City), Savannah 1979 and 2010, and Onyx’s 2012 journal. Each vignette is also divided by quotes from Onyx and other famous and not-so-famous personalities. While I cannot say I found the book spine-tingling, I was compelled to read…in fact, I read it in one evening.

The first story of Onyx and her daddy Catfish visiting the 1904 World’s Fair reminded me a lot of Erik Larsen’s Devil in the White City.  As I read, my spidey sense was getting that “this isn’t going to turnout well” sense.
The second story of Juniper and Quinn Cole also raised a few hairs. Child piano prodigy leaves all that behind as she grows up. We see her headed out to her high school prom, and again, my spidey sense starts getting nervous.

The third story is about a young man who manages to blow $20 million dollars in a short period of time. This one, well it didn’t give me the same anxious feeling the other two did.
The fourth plotline, Onyx’s journal, seemed out of place and just stuck in there. I’m sure it will start to gell in later episodes.

I have some issues with this structure: first, while there are resolutions, there is the overall sense that the whole story isn’t told.  I felt let down when I reached the end. The authors warned me: Episode One. I’m not sure that I would pick up Episode Two unless it was immediately available. Give me six months, and I won’t be interested. Second, the authors got some of their facts wrong (which drives me nuts): Tennessee Williams was wasn't born until 1911, and, therefore,  could not have been the “celebrated playwright” in attendance at the 1904 Louisiana Exposition. Arrggghhhhhh. Nor was there ever (that I could find), a St. Louis News Dispatch newspaper. Double arrggghhhhhhh. Third, there is the introduction of the Southern Gentleman near the end. I’m sure that’s to add spice and anticipation for Episode Two, but it annoyed me.

Overall, I’m not sure I would classify this as paranormal, but that could be confirmed I future volumes. The writers have talent, no doubt. I wish the story had been more linear with less creepy photos and quotes. Still I’m giving the story 4 stars…I liked it but I won’t be talking about it in six months.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment