Thursday, January 29, 2015

Fahrenheit 451

Cover image for Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury, 190 pages

I am really glad that I finally took the time to read this book. I can certainly see why people have enjoyed it and why it is so highly recommended. Fahrenheit 451 is one of those books that is timeless. Despite being written back in the 50’s the message about the abandonment of thinking and dystopian future the world is heading towards is just as potent today, if not more so. Already more and more time is spent in front of television screens and we are starting to see the audience participation play a large part in happens on the program. The next logical step would be for someone to actually play a part with spoken lines that pauses and waits for you to respond, just like we see in Fahrenheit 451. It is a scary possible future.

On a happier note Fahrenheit 451 made me reflect on what I books I could be (you know what I mean if you have read the book). What have I read that would contribute back to society? Of Mice and Men maybe or those Shakespearean plays I had to read back in high school. I know there are some works of Dante floating around in my subconscious somewhere.  There are certainly a lot of books that I have read in the past but I don’t know which ones I would choose. I would be happy to hear what books other people might be. Remember it is not something you have to memorize but something that you have read. At least if the premise that everything you have read, seen and done is somewhere in your subconscious and can be recalled eventually.

I think Fahrenheit 451 should be on everyone’s list to read eventually if they have not already. Not because it will move you in to any action or change your life, but because it will make you think.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you finally read this book, and I'm glad you liked it. I read it several years ago and I'm still marveling at how far ahead of his time Bradbury was.

    ReplyDelete