Thursday, January 29, 2015

Flesh And Blood

Flesh And Blood by Patricia Cornwell, 369 pages


Dr. Kay Scarpetta is forced to postpone her birthday trip due to a fatal shooting that happened in her own neighborhood.  The case resembles two other cases that happened in other areas recently, and all of the victims have been in some way tied to Kay.  As evidence is uncovered and more bodies pile up, it seems that several things may be connected, including some personal issues Kay has had with credit cards and pennies appearing in her yard.  This is another suspenseful story that has Kay and several of her loved ones in danger, as has been the pattern for this series recently.  While the story is pretty good, I felt like Cornwell’s writing has been suffering lately.  Some sentences feel stilted and disjointed, and there seem to be some fragments scattered throughout.  Early on, I felt like I was being subjected to a stream-of-consciousness of Kay’s thoughts and it didn’t make a lot of sense.  This might be just me, and I’m not sure I’m completely ready to give up yet, but I didn’t feel like this was Cornwell’s best work.  I wouldn’t recommend anyone start the series with this story, however people who like medical suspense stories will probably still enjoy this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment