Thursday, April 16, 2015

You Get What Anybody Gets - You Get A Lifetime



Can't We Talk About Something More Pleasant by Roz Chast
228 pages

Whew. Where to begin...

If you have parents or guardians that you are close to, somewhere down the line, you have to start thinking about what to do when they get older. And even worse, what to do when they're about to die. It's not something many people want to talk about. I certainly am TERRIFIED of dying, so I can't even imagine what steps I'd have to take when my parents start to walk down that path.

This is different from someone dying suddenly in an accident or if they contract a disease that takes them from you without any warning. This is a story about dying of old age. It's not pretty. It's not easy. It's not cheap, and it's certainly not pleasant.

Roz Chast writes about her relationship with her ever aging parents as she is forced to move them out of their homes into assisted living. The physical strain that her mother and father go through isn't just taking a toll on them, but also Roz. Chast manages to write about this depressing subject in a way that can help you find humor and also understanding in that time of life. Some pages are absolutely silly and ridiculous: like the completely made-up stories her mother begins to tell as she becomes more senile. Others are heartbreaking: like when her mother loses control of her bowels. or her father falls and breaks his hip.

It's all in all, kind of a depressing comic. But what I enjoyed about it was the honesty of it. It was intense because it was something many of us will have to go through. It's a sad truth.

How I felt after reading Can We Talk About Something More Pleasant reminded me of how I felt after reading Daytripper by Gabriel Ba and Fabio Moon.

In Daytripper, at then end of every chapter, the main character dies. He dies at different points of his life and it makes the reader really appreciate the time they have. Because you never know when your last day will be. As someone who is really scared of death, reading these comics kind of make me feel better about it. Daytripper teaches you that without death, life wouldn't be as wonderful. And with Can We Talk About Something More Pleasant, I understand that I'm not the only one afraid. Death is a human condition.

Roz Chast is a fantastic creator, and I'm very glad I read this book. I feel like everyone should read this, no matter what kind of comics they tend to prefer. It offers a detailed (though depressing) insight into death and how people respond to it. It was so personal, but also felt incredibly relate-able. After reading this comic, I definitely want to talk about something more pleasant, though.

---
"You get what anybody gets. You get a lifetime" - Neil Gaiman's 'Death' from The Sandman series

3 comments:

  1. I feel like Daytripper is one of the most substantial graphic novels I've ever read- weighty and beautiful at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to read it every year to remind myself of my own mortality. Also to drool at the creators artwork.

      Delete