Sunday, December 31, 2017

Going Into Town: A Love Letter to New York

Going Into Town: A Love Letter to New York by Roz Chast    169 pages

"A native Brooklynite-turned-suburban commuter deemed the quintessential New Yorker, Roz Chast has always been intensely alive to the glorious spectacle that is Manhattan--the daily clash of sidewalk racers and dawdlers; the fascinating range of dress codes; and the priceless, nutty outbursts of souls from all walks of life."

When Roz Chast and her husband moved their family to outside of New York City, there were a lot of adjustments. When they did go in to the city, they would marvel at all kinds of things, including how to navigate the streets.  This book was created by Chast as a kind of guide for her daughter, but it's definitely a love letter to New York, and especially Manhattan.  I love Chast's style of cartooning and how expressive her characters can be. I laughed out loud a few times when I was reading, but I also was learning a lot at the same time. I love how Chast points out how much she loves the city and how many things there are to do and see. She lists a bunch of museums, but then adds in all kinds of other things you can do.  For example, she cites how walking down a street you've never been in can result in all kinds of discoveries. Even the standpipes become interesting when Chast shows them off (and this section is particularly funny).   I enjoyed this book and even if I don't go to New York City again ever (the last time was a long time ago), I plan on re-reading this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment