Friday, December 29, 2017

The Substitute

The Substitute by Nicole Lundrigan        399 pages

Warren Botts, PhD, is taking a break from his lab to teach middle-school science. Quiet and lonely, he innocently befriends Amanda, one of his students. However, one morning, Amanda is found dead in his backyard and upon discovering her, Warren flees the scene. As the police start to develop their theory of Warren as a person of interest in the murder, Warren becomes more and more introverted. 

At the same time as all of this is going on, there is a second storyline from an anonymous narrator, a person who seems very intelligent, but who has the markings of a psychopath (or a sociopath. Either way, there's something wrong with this person).  This person's narrative offers insight into events of the past and present, building tension in the story  -- and also making you wonder if this storyline and the storyline of Amanda's murder and Warren's situation, are going to intersect.

I didn't like this book. I kept reading because I was curious, although I skimmed sections. Our anonymous psychopathic/sociopathic narrator is unpleasant and there were instances of animal cruelty, which I do not like to read about. I also didn't like the character of Warren, so I basically kept reading because I was wondering how these two storylines were going to intersect.  I should have just closed the book partway through and gone on to my next book (which turned out to be much better).

No comments:

Post a Comment