Wednesday, December 13, 2017

Hyperbole and a Half

Hyperbole and a Half: Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh    371 pages

I gave this book a re-read recently in anticipation of a book group meeting (which, as it turns out, I won't be making).  As always, this book makes me laugh until I cry  . . . and then sometimes makes me cry a little.  Allie Brosh has such an honest, open, and sometimes raw way of writing that I always get caught up in her stories.

The story about her childhood experience with a birthday cake is hysterical, but I always find myself laughing through the stories about her dogs (and those stories make me laugh until I cry), although the story about the goose is also quite funny.  The illustrations alone on that one are great (as are the actual fuzzy photos of the goose encounter).

I really appreciate that she writes so honestly about her struggles with depression.  I had started reading her work when it was all online, and when she posted about depression, the comments from people were so supportive. If you've struggled with depression, you may find some validation and "yes!" moments in this book --- but if you've never experienced this kind of depression, this book is a good way to understand what some people go through.

Something I love about the book is how much expression Brosh is able to get out of her simple art. Sometimes, you don't need many words because there's so much emotion and expression. Admittedly, I love one of the illustrations of herself as a child, wanting that cake.  I can identify with that, as I sometimes, also crave cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment