Saturday, December 23, 2017

Our Kind of Cruelty

Our Kind of Cruelty by Araminta Hall  273 pages  read a galley - due out May, 2018

Take the day off work. Or reserve your entire Saturday.  Because once you settle in with this book, you'll likely want to keep reading straight through until you finish.

This is a love story. Or is it? It's more a story of obsession and of a breakup so devastating that if you try to piece together the story, you get a jagged, not-quite-right picture.

Mike and Verity love each other so much that nothing will tear them apart. However, one stumble from Mike and Verity finds love in the arms of another man. But is it really love? The game that Mike and Verity have played over the years, "the crave," may not have stopped even though Verity is marrying her new man. Mike's sure that Verity is giving him signals, pushing him to bring the two of them together again . . . even if it means someone has to die.

I was seriously cranky the day that I had to go to work and leave this book waiting for me until I came home. I would have been more than happy to settle into my chair with my blanket and just read straight through until I finished, without interruption. This is the kind of story that makes you unsure if it's an unreliable narrator, or if you're reading more into things than are there, or if you're just completely off track. Each time you think Mike's reading non-existent signals from Verity, there's a hint or glimpse of something that makes you think, well, maybe not.  This is a fast-paced, addictive read.

And if all of this doesn't catch you, how about this blurb: ‘Simply one of the most disturbing thrillers I’ve read in years. In short I loved it, right down to the utterly chilling final line.’ GILLIAN FLYNN

No comments:

Post a Comment