Sunday, December 10, 2017

The Goddesses

The Goddesses by Swan Huntley     320 pages

"The Descendants meets Single White Female in this captivating novel about a woman who moves her family to Hawaii, only to find herself wrapped up in a dangerous friendship."

This is one of those books where there is some foreshadowing from the viewpoint of the main character, and where you know something's up, but you're not sure what it is  . . . although you have suspicions. At least, that's what my experience was with this book. We see everything through the viewpoint of Nancy, a woman who has moved to Kona, Hawaii with her family. Hoping for a fresh start after her husband has cheated on her, Nancy is determined to have a happier life. When she takes a yoga class, she's drawn in by the charismatic teacher, Ana. They become friends and soon, they're spending all their time together. But there's definitely something a little off about Ana (especially if you're paying attention to some of what Nancy is picking up on).

I whipped through this book, even though Nancy annoyed me part of the time and I had a feeling where the story was going. I felt a lot of it was predictable, but I kept reading because I was curious and I wasn't sure just how far things would go. If you want to read another story with a charismatic and manipulative woman and female friendships, I'd suggest The Robber Bride by Margaret Atwood (a book I've read several times).

No comments:

Post a Comment