Saturday, December 23, 2017

The Hearts We Sold

The Hearts We Sold by Emily Lloyd-Jones.  I got through 229 pages (of 381)  

In Dee Moreno's world (which is more or less just like our own), people can make deals with demons. All it takes is a body part and you can get something you want in exchange. When Dee, in desperation, makes a deal with a demon, she gives her heart. Of course, she then finds out that the trade may have been more than she bargained for. She joins a group of other deal-making teens who are working for the same demon, trying to keep the world in balance.  This group includes "the charming but secretive James Lancer. And as something grows between them amid an otherworldy ordeal, Dee begins to wonder: Can she give someone her heart when it’s no longer hers to give?"

That last bit, in quotes, is from the Goodreads summary.  I'm including it because it's partly why I didn't finish this book. I was intrigued by the premise of the story, which is why I put the book on hold and was eager to read it. However, it quickly became clear to me that I'm not the intended audience for this book. Which is not a problem  --- but as an adult, the book is not aimed at me. 

Maybe I watch too much Supernatural, but anyone who contemplates making a deal with a demon should know that it never ends well for anyone by the demon. And I could have completely done without the "who is that fascinating boy" part of the story.  I found it distracting and after a while, gave up on the book. This isn't a bad book; it's just not the book for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment