Saturday, August 19, 2017

Hunger: A memoir of my body

Hunger: A memoir of my body by Roxane Gay.   320 pages.  Audiobook 5 discs (6 hours)

I ate and ate and ate in the hopes that if I made myself big, my body would be safe. I buried the girl I was because she ran into all kinds of trouble. I tried to erase every memory of her, but she is still there, somewhere. . . . I was trapped in my body, one that I barely recognized or understood, but at least I was safe.

I had previously read this book and posted my review.  I enjoyed the book so much that I checked out the audiobook, which is read by the author.  It was interesting listen to her read her own book, and also listening made parts of the book sink in even more.  Admittedly, I'm a fast reader and can, if the book is good enough, proceed at "whip" speed.  By listening to Gay read, I really was able to go at her pace, and listening made the book into a different experience than when I had read it.  The vulnerabilities that she exposes in the book are even more so when you listen to her reading her own words. The emotional qualities that come through in an audiobook just enhance the experience --- which meant that at times, I had to turn off the book and switch to some music, just so I could take time and digest what she had been reading.



No comments:

Post a Comment