Thursday, August 10, 2017

The Angel Scroll: The Fallen Ones


The Angel Scroll: The Fallen Ones by Kevin O. Hunking      248 pages



I knew I was in trouble with the book when I flipped through it after its arrival. There is an extra space between each paragraph; a tell-tale sign of a self-published book.  But I had agreed to read it and write this review, so I did.



Besides the extra spacing, there are a lot of other issues throughout this book. Missing words. Misspellings. Changes in point of view. Incorrect tenses. But I have the 50-Page Rule: I give every book I pick up at least 50 pages to make me keep reading. And somehow, even with all the technical issues, I kept reading until the bitter end. It’s an intriguing story.



The story opens in Jordan in 1956. A young goatherd little falls into a hidden cave where he discovers coins and a larger-than-life sized angel painted/drawn one of the cave’s walls.  Then the story jumps to more current times. 



From here there are two-and-a half-story lines. First is the Wayfarer, who seems to be a modern-day Jesus. It’s about his travels, his efforts to share God with his followers, and his ability to heal with a mere touch. 



Second, is the story of Lucas Koch. Lucas is an expert on the Dead Sea Scrolls and had been summoned to Jordan to translate new scrolls that have been found---but in total secrecy. Lucas’ part of the story jumps around a lot and it rather hard to follow. At one point the reader learns that Lucas has been working in secret and has been in Jordan for four years. There are a lot of whole in the timeframe to this story.



The half story line is the Fallen Angels. They exist on earth with red eyes, although I’m not really sure why they are in the story.



Like I wrote earlier, the plot is intriguing. However the story didn’t live up to the plot. When I finished the book, I didn’t feel as if I understood more about the scrolls. Therefore, The Angel Scroll: The Fallen Ones receives 1 out of 5 stars in Julie’s world.

No comments:

Post a Comment